The History of
John Boos and Co
In 1887, Effingham, Illinois blacksmith Conrad Boos used a Sycamore tree placed on three legs while hammering horseshoes. Three years later, a local butcher realized a wooden Boos Block could be used for cutting meat, and had one custom made. Word spread to surrounding small towns and cities and by 1911, John Boos and Co was shipping custom butcher blocks from coast to coast. Throughout the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s, John Boos expanded their production and product range to include tables and workbenches, the majority of which went to the war effort during WWII.